Tuesday 22 September 2015

Day 2 in Rehab


First i apologise for the very long post


Its 7.32am and i am waiting to see if anyone can help me get up. They don't have carers as such here and we are not allowed to ring the call bell unless it's an emergency, I wonder if needing a wee is classed as an emergency?

I feel awful today after a very long day yesterday. I'm sure i will be alright when i take me meds. I might transform from someone out of the night of the living dead to an actual human. Mmm we can only hope.

Physio 

My first session started at 9am. It was a class on stretching. There were a few of us there today and we just did gentle movements until about 9.30am. Next i went to see the physio. She had me lay on the bed and tested my movement and muscle strength. She came to the conclusion that i don't have much muscle or coordination hence why i can't stand up. We then discussed my leg braces and she said they weren't much help as you can't walk around in them forever. I think i used up all energy just carrying them up there.

Next she came up with an idea. Try some different braces. So she brought in some foam ones and i turned into the michelin man. We tried to stand on the parallel bars but i was like a raggy doll and flopped back into my chair. She gave me a few exercises to do and tomorrow we are going to the gym, hoorah. Apparently not many people get to go as there not used to the exercise. I love the gym and maybe the men in it haha. Its an all girl ward here so it would be nice to have a bit of eye candy.

Anyway after being tortured. I mean having controlled exercise, i had to go and meet a lady. I say lady as I'm confused as to what she does, i think shes a therapy technician. Who knows. The first thing i notice in her hand are colouring sheets. Does she not realise that I'm allergic to colouring, the black and white makes my head spin and my hair stand on end. After colouring in two flowers i said i can't cope.In between that i had to work on my posture and sit up straight for 1 minute at a time.

We decided colouring wasn't for me and went onto card making. Sadly they don't have as much craft stuff as me. Think i need to donate some. Heres the card i made. I think i did a pretty good job considering.



I'm now free until 3pm.

I managed to get some sleep and am now off to see the o.t

Occupational therapy

I've come across a few o.ts in the time i've been ill. I always thought they just dealt with equipment but they do much more.


Other subjects we touched on were assertiveness and whether i go on forums. She said i'm different to the other girls as they spend alot of time on them. I admit i did in the early days as i was new to the condition but after 12 years it's no longer the centre of my life. We set a few goals to discuss next time i see her.

Pain talk

We talked about acute pain vs chronic pain, fear of pain can create pain and that everyone interprets pain differently. It helped me to understand others more than myself. Because you can't see pain in other people it's very easy to say ' get off your arse and do something'. But often this isn't the case. Pain is entangled with so many different issues emotions and environmental factors.I now have more of an understanding of the issues pain can cause. Another day over and now i'm going to relax and catch up on some tv. X



No comments:

Post a Comment